Saturday, February 24, 2007

Behold! A blog.

It has brought to my attention that I haven't posted on my old blog since August 2005 (Thanks to Amy for that). I am regaining my old desire to write things and to have other people read them (or at least to be able to convince myself that other people read them), but a lapse of that length of time is difficult to resurrect a blog from. Thus I have decided to start afresh and create a new blog. Hopefully I can be more diligent about posting on this one than on my previous attempt. So please, give me a chance and check back often.
This blog doesn't as of yet have any particular topic other than "things what catch my interest at the moment" and I'm not quite sure what the tone will be. I'm also not married to the name, this is just the one which suggested itself at the time, so please offer any ideas.
Below by way of a first post is a brief passage which began as a strain of thought in my head (you can count on many things beginning this way), became a Google Talk away message that exceeded the maximum amount of characters allowed (I was not previously aware there was such a limit), was transferred to an entry on facebook stuck in "Favorite Quotes" for lack of a better place, was quickly doubled in length by a series of successive edits, and will likely be further expanded to an essay to mark the first anniversary of the beginning of the SaveRoot! Campaign on February 27th that will probably be posted here. Lines quoted in the passage prompted both the current name and tag line of this blog.
For those unfamiliar with my writing style, it tends to feature wry, ironic, and sarcastic humor, be prone to both humorous and non-humorous rants (in terms phrasing, emotion, intensity, and word choice, hopefully not quality of grammar and logic), contain a large amount of historical, literary, philosophical, and pop culture quotations and references, reflect the fact that though I have been educated in the liberal arts, am interested in intellectual pursuits, associate with many smart people who use big words, and am fairly well-read, I am also a journalist by training and thus have an attraction to the common, the blunt and the sensational, be written in a conversation which maintains a "loose" relationship with proper grammar that, while maybe not incorrect is at least unconventional, and contain a lot of parenthetical (you should have figured this out by now) statements. I also sometimes use very long sentences. Short ones too.
Anyway, I'll try to do all I can to keep this blog fresh and frequently updated and to make it useful, thoughtful, entertaining, and worth the time it takes you to read it. Please visit, comment, link, tell your friends, and so forth.

I present: a blog by Tim Hoskins.

No comments: